Monday, February 2, 2009

Identity

The dictionary definition of identity is the sense of being oneself. To determine identity, you simply have distinguish characteristics that make you, YOU. Depending on the person it could be a verity things form the obvious, culture, religion, or region of birth; to the not so obvious dress, music, sports. Identity can be formed from tangible things like a snow board, as in a snowboarder identify himself with the live style of snowboarders, this could be a huge part of how he identifies himself, or it could be a relatively small part. Experience can also make up identity, for example if someone travels the world, what they experience could effect how they view themselves as a person. Even negative experience can affects one’s identity; they could become a stronger individual, or revaluate themselves as person and carry it for the rest of their lives. Identity is the characteristic/experiences that one uses to define oneself.  I see myself as smart but lazy. Identify with a particular style of music and the fashion that goes with it. Politics is a big part of my life, so it would seem that I see myself as a politically active liberal. I ride horses so I see myself as part of the horse community. I think I’m funny. I’m pretty shy when people first meet me, but once you get to know me, I can be pretty loud. Other people/my friend Brian who is sitting here answering the question, see me as, sassy, intelligent (but horrible speller). He sees me as a person who likes to be updated on current events in the world and my local community, who has opinion on most things and logical reasons to back my opinions up. He sees me as witty, music lover, rule breaker and mean. 

1 comment: